Current Affairs of 1st November
Neelakshi Das, Published On:01-Nov-2018
1. The Supreme Court allowed States other than Delhi to use their existing stocks of crackers for Diwali.
- However, the Bench of Justices A.K. Sikri and Ashok Bhushan directed that only green crackers can be manufactured henceforth across the country. That means once the existing stocks are used up, no new polluting crackers can be made.
- The court has allowed Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and the adjoining southern States, which celebrate Diwali in the morning, to burst crackers for two hours.
2. India jumped 23 ranks to 77th rank in the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business Index 2018
- The Index ranks 190 countries based on 10 indicators across the lifecycle of a business, from “starting a business” to “resolving insolvency.”
- World Bank Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- President: Jim Yong Kim
- CEO: Kristalina Georgieva
- Members: 189 countries (IBRD); 173 countries (IDA)
3. Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik flags off ‘Saubhagya Raths’ to achieve 100 percent electrification.
- Officials onboard these ‘Saubhagya Raths’ will survey areas in their respective jurisdiction for one month till November 30, 2018.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana
4. The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) has signed a three year, ₹11 crore deal with The Energy and Research Institute to set up a centre to produce “advanced biofuels and biocommodities.”
5. IL&FS resolution in 6 - 9 months: new board
- The new board of the troubled financial conglomerate Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services (IL&FS) has informed the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) that the resolution process is expected to be completed in 6 - 9 months, subject to market and economic conditions.
- In the report titled ‘Progress and way forward,’ the new board, chaired by banker Uday Kotak, noted that the core problem of IL&FS was excessive leverage and that the final resolution would inevitably involve substantial deleveraging from the current levels,
- Plan involves capital infusion, asset sale, austerity measures; banks have an exposure of ₹53,000 cr.
6. NASA’s Kepler space telescope to retire
- The Kepler space telescope has run out of fuel and will be retired after a nine and a half year mission, in which it detected thousands of planets beyond our solar system and boosted the search for worlds that might harbour alien life.
7. Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu embarks on three nation Africa visit
- He will visit Botswana, Zimbabwe and Malawi where he is scheduled to interact with heads of state of the three nations, business fora and address Indian Community
- The Vice President is accompanied by a high level Parliamentary delegation comprising of the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri Krishan Pal Gurjar, and four Members of Parliament.
- First Leg: The Vice President will reach Botswana’s capital Gaboron on 31st October evening to attend the Official opening of the 13th Annual Global Expo where 25 Indian companies are participating for the first time showcasing India’s economic and Industrial proves.
- Second leg: Harare, Zimbabwe. This is the high level visit taking place after a gap of 21 years in Zimbabwe. He will meet the President and the Vice President. Both the Vice Presidents will witness the Signing of Agreements. Shri Naidu is scheduled to attend the India-Zimbabwe Business Forum
- Third Leg : He will visit Lilongwe in Malawi. The Vice President of India is scheduled to participate in the India Malawi Business Meet. Later he will hold a Tete-e--Tete meeting with President of Malawi, Mr. Peter Arthur Mutharika and hold talks. He will also attend the opening of Jaipur Foot Camp for Fitment of Artificial Limbs under “India for Humanity” Theme.
Botswana Capital: Gaborone, Currency: Botswana pula.
Malawi Capital: Lilongwe, Currency: Malawian kwacha.
Zimbabwe Capital: Harare, President: Emmerson Mnangagwa.
8. Centre approves release of Rs 229.05 Crore of its share from State Disaster Response fund (SDRF) to Andhra Pradesh
Appointments and Resignation
9 Anupam Kher resigns as chairperson of the Film and Television Institute of India(FTII)
- Information and Broadcasting Minister-Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore,
10. Norwegian diplomat Geir Pedersen to be next UN Syria envoy
UN Headquarters: New York City, New York, United States
Secretary general: António Guterres
11. Nineteen time World champion Pankaj Advani become the first Indian to win an Asian Snooker Tour event.
12. Mary Kom named brand ambassador of AIBA World Championships to be held in Delhi from November 15
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website