Current Affairs of 2nd November
Neelakshi Das, Published On:02-Nov-2018
1. Assam residents get relief from SC as it allows more papers to prove legacy.
A Special Bench of Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi and Justice Rohinton F. Nariman allowed them to use any of the five documents —
- the NRC, 1951
- citizenship certificate
- refugee registration certificate
- certified copies of the pre 1971 electoral rolls, particularly those issued from the State of Tripura
- ration card.
2. The Supreme Court, one of independent India’s first major buildings to be designed by an Indian architect, has opened its doors for guided tours.
- Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi launched the project.
- The tours are free and will be conducted between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. every Saturday, except on declared holidays.
3. The First Lady of South Korea, Kim Jung sook, will be the chief guest at the Deepotsav event being organised in Ayodhya, UP
- Sook will be in India from November 4 to 7. She is also scheduled to attend the ground breaking ceremony of Queen Suriratna (Heo Hwang-ok) memorial in Ayodhya.
South Korea Capital: Seoul ; Currency: South Korean won
President: Moon Jae-in
4. India to host key meetings
- Ahead of the December climate talks in Katowice, Poland, India is hosting two key meetings in New Delhi with a group of countries called the LMDC, the ‘Like Minded Developing Countries’ (India, China, Venezuela and Iran) and BASIC (Brazil, South Africa, India, China), which are networks that have been formed to lend weight to the concerns of developing countries.
- One of these meetings, of the LMDC, was under way on Thursday here. The Conference of Parties meets annually to discuss ways to address issues related to climate change.
5. GST revenue crosses ₹1 lakh crore in October
6. IPO timeline to be cut to 3 days
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has initiated the process to reduce the timeline for public issues from the current six days to three days in a phased manner by making it mandatory for intermediaries to provide retail investors the option of bidding through the Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
- SEBI Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
7. The U.S. revoked duty free concessions on the import of at least 50 Indian products, mostly from handloom and agriculture sectors, reflecting the Trump administration’s tough stand on trade related issues with New Delhi.
8. Satyajit Ray’s epic masterpiece, Pather Panchali, has been included in BBC’s list of 100 best foreign language films and is the the only film from India to feature in it.
Appointments and Resignation
9. Supreme Court gets 4 new judges
- Justices Hemant Gupta, R Subhash Reddy, M R Shah and Ajay Rastogi sworn in as judges of the Supreme Court, taking its strength to 28.
10. G N. Bajpai, the former chairman of SEBI, has stepped down from the newly constituted board of Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services (IL&FS)
11. Rahul Dravid inducted in the ICC Hall of Fame
12. Cricket Australia chairman David Peever quit after coming under intense pressure over a balltampering scandal which has triggered an exodus of senior figures and long bans for three players.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website