Current Affairs of 6th December
Anjali Singh, Published On:06-Dec-2018
1. RBI has released 5th Bi monthly monetary policy
- The Reserve Bank of India has left the key interest rate, or the repo rate, unchanged at 6.5% in its fifth bi monthly monetary policy presented by the Monetary Policy Committee chaired by RBI Governor Dr. Urjit Patel.
- All the six members of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) voted in favour of status quo on repo rate while only one member R.H. Dholakia voted for change in the stance to neutral
- Consumer price indexbased inflation is projected at 2.73.2% for the second half of the current financial year and 3.84.2% in the first half of the next financial year.
- The RBI decided to retain GDP growth rate for 201819 at 7.4% and estimated growth at 7.5% for the first half of the next financial year.
- The central bank has decided to reduce the statutory liquidity ratio (SLR) requirement for banks to 18% of net demand and time liabilities from 19.5% over the next six quarters, by 25 bps each in every quarter.
2. A Delhi court on Wednesday sentenced former Coal Secretary H.C. Gupta to a three year imprisonment in a coal block allocation scam case during the previous UPA regime.
3. The National Green Tribunal has granted permission to the Uttar Pradesh government to carry out “developments” around the Parikarma Marg at the Giriraj pilgrimage site.
- A Bench headed by NGT judicial member Justice Raghuvendra Rathore, while allowing the application moved by the State government, said: “These projects are in relation to drinking water facility with reverse osmosis and construction of toilet blocks with biodigestion.”
4. The second death anniversary of former Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa was observed by the ruling AIADMK and Amma Makkal Munnetra Kazhagam. Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami and Deputy CM O. Panneerselvam led a procession of their party members and paid homage at the mausoleum.
5. Days after starting work on the Kartarpur religious corridor, Pakistan declared that it had granted a large number of visas to Hindu pilgrims to visit the famed shrine in the province of Sindh. The High Commission of Pakistan here said that the visas were issued to pilgrims wanting to visit the Shadani Darbar Tirth in Sindh, where a fortnight of festivities has begun.
6. Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan met with Zalmay Khalilzad, the U.S. peace envoy for Afghanistan, and pledged his help to find a political settlement to the longrunning war in neighbouring Afghanistan.
7. The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has congratulated ISRO on successful launch of GSAT-11
8. The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) in the Ministry of Commerce and Industry and the Government of Goa, is hosting the annual Startup India Venture Capital Summit in Goa on December 07, 2018.
9. Exercise Hand-in-Hand is conducted annually as part of military diplomacy and interaction between armies of India and China. The joint exercise for the year 2018 will be conducted from 10 to 23 December 2018 at Chengdu, China. The aim of the exercise is to build and promote close relations between armies of both the countries and to enhance ability of joint exercise commander to take military contingents of both nations under command.
10. After the success of container cargo being shipped from Kolkata to Varanasi earlier this year, Bihar’s capital Patna will be witness to a new landmark in India’s Inland Water Transport (IWT) sector with 16 TEUs of container cargo (equivalent to 16 truckloads) belonging to food giants PepsiCo India and Emami Agrotech Ltd from Kolkata reaching the city’s Gaighat IWT terminal on river Ganga
Awards and Recognition
11. Centenarian lexicographer G. Venkatasubbaiah has been awarded the Sahitya Akademi’s Bhasha Samman for south (2017).
The award has been given in recognition of his contribution in the field of classical and medieval literature.
12. Tamil writer, traveller, essayist and scriptwriter S. Ramakrishnan has won the Sahitya Akademi Award for 2018 for his novel Sancharam, which captures the lives of nagaswaram players in karisal bhoomi – the arid land – of Tamil Nadu.
13. The President Shri Ram Nath Kovind led the nation in paying homage to Bharat Ratna Baba Saheb Dr. B.R. Ambedkar on his 63rd Mahaparinirvan Diwas
Books and Authors
14. The President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind, Directorate of Publications Division, Ministry of Information & Broadcasting will be launching the books “The Republican Ethic” and “Loktantra Ke Swar” on 8 Dec 2018 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi
15. Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Delhi Daredevils were renamed as Delhi Capitals and the announcement was made in a function in the capital held by owners GMR Group and JSW Sports.
16. Gautam Gambhir, 37 year old, former Indian opening batsman, announced his retirement from all forms of Cricket.
Gambhir’s career began in 2003 with an ODI against Bangladesh and the Delhi-Andhra Ranji Trophy (scheduled on December 5, 2018) would mark the conclusion of his career in cricket.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website