Current affairs of 9th November
Neelakshi Das, Updated On:10-Nov-2018
1. Six airports set to be privatised
- The Union Cabinet gave an “in principle” approval for operating, managing and developing six non metro airports — Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Lucknow, Guwahati, Thiruvananthapuram and Mangaluru — under the Public Private Partnership (PPP).
- It approved the constitution of an Empowered Group of Secretaries headed by CEO, NITI Aayog with Secretary, Ministry of Civil Aviation, Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs and Secretary, Department of Expenditure to decide on any issue falling beyond the scope of PPPAC.
2. Rafale fighter made for India takes maiden flight
- First aircraft is named after Air Marshal R.K.S. Bhadauria
- The first aircraft built by Dassault Aviation for the IAF, a two-seater variant, made its maiden flight on October 30 in France and is designated RB 008.
- Current air chief marshal of india: Birender Singh Dhanoa
3. Centre to sell its entire stake in Dredging Corporation
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs gave ‘in-principle’ approval for strategic disinvestment of the government’s entire stake in the Dredging Corporation of India Limited (DCIL) to a consortium of four ports viz. Vishakhapatnam Port Trust, Paradeep Port Trust, Jawahar Lal Nehru Port Trust and Kandla Port Trust.
- The government holds 73.44% shares in DCIL valued at a little over ₹700 crore as per current market prices of the share
- The approval will further facilitate the linkage of dredging activities with the ports, keeping in view the role of the DCIL in expansion of dredging activity in the country as well as potential scope for diversification of ports into third party dredging.
4. GST refunds of ₹82,775 cr. cleared
- The Finance Ministry said that GST refunds of ₹82,775 crore to exporters has been cleared as on October 31, which is 93.8% of the total such claims.
- ₹5,400 crore worth GST refunds were still pending with the government and they are being “expeditiously processed.”
5. Bilateral Exercise Between Indian & Republic of Singapore Navies – SIMBEX 18 - marks Silver Jubilee this Year
- The 25th edition of SIMBEX, an acronym for “Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise” is scheduled from 10th to 21st November 2018 off Andaman Sea and Bay of Bengal.
- The previous edition of the exercise was held off Singapore in the South China Sea in May 2017
- SIMBEX 2018 will be the largest edition since 1994 in terms of scale and complexity.
- The initial harbour phase will be held at Port Blair, the capital of Andaman and Nicobar Islands from 10 to 12 November followed by Sea Phase from 12 to 16 November in the Andaman Sea.
- The second harbour phase from 16 to 19 November will be held at Visakhapatnam – ‘the City of Destiny’.
6. Global IT Challenge for Youth with Disabilities 2018 to be held from 9th to 11th November, 2018 in Delhi.
- The three day event is being organised by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in association with Rehabilitation International Korea and their associated partner LG Electronics
- This year around 100 youth with disabilities from 18 countries namely, India, Indonesia, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Mongolia, Cambodia, Laos, Philippines, Korea, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, UK and UAE are participating in this event.
- India has nominated twelve youth with disabilities to participate in the event.
7. The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu embark on a State visit to Paris, France from 9 to 11 November 2018
- VP to attend Paris Peace Forum held to commemorate the centenary of the end to the First World War
- Shri Naidu will also unveil the Indian Armed Forces Memorial
- France Capital: Paris; Currencies: Euro, CFP franc
8. Important Cabinet Approvals:
1. Cabinet approves Agreement between India and Morocco on Mutual Legal Assistance in Civil and Commercial Matters
2. Cabinet approves signing and ratifying the Extradition Agreement between India and Morocco
3. Cabinet approves MoU between India and Italy for continuing training and education in the fields of Labour and Employment
4. Cabinet apprised of India joining as Member of Advanced Motor Fuels Technology Collaboration Programme under International Energy Agency
5. Cabinet approves Laying down procedure and mechanism for sale of enemy shares
i. ‘In principle’ approval has been accorded for sale of enemy shares under the Custody of Ministry of Home Affairs/ Custodian of Enemy Property of India (CEPI), as per sub-section 1 of section 8A of the Enemy Property Act, 1968.
ii. Department of Investment and Public Asset Management has been authorized under the provisions of sub-section 7 of section 8A of the Enemy Property Act, 1968, to sell the same.
iii. Sale proceeds are to be deposited as disinvestment proceeds in the Government Account maintained by Ministry of Finance.
6. Cabinet approves filling of Padur Strategic Petroleum Reserves at Padur, Karnataka by overseas National Oil Companies
7. Cabinet approves Amendment to the Central Universities Act, 2009 for setting up of Central Tribal University in Andhra Pradesh
8. Cabinet approves Procurement Quota to M/s ITI Ltd. in procurements made by BSNL, MTNL and BBNL
9. Export of raw sugar from India to China will begin early next year. A contract for exporting 50,000 tonnes of raw sugar has been entered to by the Indian Sugar Mills Association (ISMA) and COFCO, a Government of China run public sector company.
10. The Ministry of Defence has delegated greater financial decision-making powers to Vice Chiefs of the three Services in order to expedite the decision making process involved in the revenue procurements of the Armed Forces.
- With the new delegation, the Vice Chiefs will be able to exercise financial powers upto five times more than the existing powers with an enhanced ceiling of Rs. 500 crores. This is likely to give another fillip to the capacity of the three Armed Forces.
11. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi announced a financial package of Rs. 469.41 crore for the Revival and Mill Development Plan (RMDP) of Nepa Limited, a public sector newsprint company located in Nepanagar, Madhya Pradesh on 3rd October 2018.
- This package includes an infusion of Rs. 277 crores as equity in the company for the completion of RMDP which shall enhance production capacity to 1,00,000 MT per annum from the present capacity of 83,000 MT per annum, diversify production, improve quality of products and also help resume production at Nepa Ltd. The RMDP is expected to be completed within a year.
12. Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will dedicate to the nation the newly constructed Multi Modal Terminal on River Ganga at Varanasi on Monday, the 12th of November, 2018.
- This is the first of the three Multi Modal Terminals and two Inter Modal Terminals being constructed on the river.
- The MMTs are being built as part of the Government’s Jal Marg Vikas project that aims to develop the stretch of River Ganga between Varanasi to Haldi for navigation of large vessels upto 1500-2000 tonnes weight, by maintaining a drought of 2-3 metres in this stretch of the river and setting up other systems required for safe navigation.
- The objective is to promote inland waterways as a cheaper and more environment friendly means of transport, especially for cargo movement. Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) is the project Implementing Agency
- PM will also receive India’s First Container Cargo being transported on an Inland Waterway that sailed from Kolkata on 30th October 2018, carrying cargo belonging to PEPSICO (India) from Kolkata to Varanasi.
- The IWAI vessel, MV RABINDRANATH TAGORE is transporting 16 containers equivalent to 16 truckloads of food and snacks and is expected to reach Varanasi on 11th November 2018. It will make its return journey with fertilizers from IFFCO.
13. Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will inaugurate two Sewage Infrastructure Projects worth Rs 425.41 Crore in Varanasi on 12.11.18
- He will also and lay foundation stone for another project worth Rs 72.91 Crore for Ramnagar.
Appointments and Resignation
14. Trump sacks Jeff Sessions as U.S. Attorney General
Matthew G. Whitaker, Mr. Sessions’ chief of staff is appointed acting Attorney General
15. Tesla Inc. promoted one of the electric carmaker’s independent directors, Australian accountant Robyn Denholm, to replace Elon Musk as chairman.
16. November 9 is celebrated as the Legal Services Day
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website
Important Questions for BANK/SSC/UPSC and other government exams:
1. November 9 is celebrated as the ___________
Ans: Legal Services Day
2. Capital Of France is______
3. Global IT Challenge for Youth with Disabilities 2018 will be held in ______
4. Bilateral Exercise Between Indian & Republic of Singapore Navies is termed as ________
5. The first aircraft built by Dassault Aviation for the IAF, a two-seater variant, made its maiden flight on October 30 in France and is designated RB 008. What does RB stands for?
Ans: Air Marshal R.K.S. Bhadauria