Current affairs of 10th November
Neelakshi Das, Published On:10-Nov-2018
1. Bannerghatta Park’s ESZ cut down to 169 sq km
- The protective layer around Bannerghatta National Park (BNP) has become smaller after a new draft notification further trims down the EcoSensitive Zone (ESZ) to just 169 sq.km. around the park.
- The reduction in the ESZ may open up more areas for mining and commercial development.
- Bannerghatta National Park is located near Bangalore, Karnataka.
2. M777 Ultra Light Howitzers and K9 Vajra-T self-propelled artillery gun inducted into the Armed force
- Emerging from the shadow of the Bofors scandal, the Army inducted its first artillery gun systems in three decades.
- The M777 Ultra Light Howitzers from the U.S. and K9 Vajra-T self-propelled artillery gun from South Korea were inducted at the Devlali Field Firing Ranges in Maharashtra.
- The third equipment inducted is a common gun tower.
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
Army chief Gen. Bipin Rawat
3. Modi to attend Solih’s swearing-in ceremony.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will pay a day-long visit to the Maldives on November 17 to witness the swearing-in of Ibrahim Solih as President of the country.
Maldives Capital: Malé ; Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa
4. Credit growth at 5-year high as per RBI data
- In what could be an indication of a pickup in private investment, loan growth of commercial banks is at a five-year high on the back of strong demand, latest data released by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) showed.
- Demand from firms, NFBCs drive loan growth
5.SEBI halves high net worth individuals (HNI) bid quantum in IPO to curb leverage
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has effectively reduced the maximum bid size of HNIs by half in the revised SEBI (Issue of Capital and Disclosure Requirements) Regulations 2018.
- SEBI Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
6. LIC Housing Finance Ltd. (LIC-HFL) will be coming out with a non-convertible debenture (NCD) issue some time next month as said by Vinay Sah, MD and CEO.
7. RCEP Trade Ministers to meet on November 12- 13
- A crucial meeting of Trade Ministers of RCEP member- countries, including India and China, will take place in Singapore on November 12-13 amid pressure being mounted on New Delhi to conclude talks for the proposed mega trade deal at the earliest
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) is a trade pact that aims to cover goods, services and intellectual property rights among others
8. Plastics exports rise 31.6% in April-Sept.
- India’s plastics exports grew 31.6% to $4.59 billion during April to September 2018 (H1 2018-19) as against $3.48 billion in the same period last year.
- Exports to China, Vietnam and Mexico witnessed high growth rates ranging between 70% and 140% during the H1 2018-19 period.
9. China unveils world’s first AI anchor
- Xinhua news agency this week debuted a pair of virtual news anchors amid a statedirected embrace of advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI).
- The “AI Synthetic Anchors”, one for Chinese and one for English news, were developed along with Sogou Inc, a Beijing-based creator of search engines and voice-recognition technology
10. General election to the Legislative Assemblies of Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Mizoram & Telangana, 2018 – Ban on Exit Poll.
- Election Commission of India, in exercise of the powers under sub-section(1) of Section 126A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 notified the period between 7.00 A.M. on 12.11.2018 and 5.30 P.M. on 07.12.2018 as the period during which conducting any exit poll and publishing or publicizing the result of exit poll by means of the print or electronic media or in any other manner shall be prohibited in the ongoing general elections to the Legislative Assemblies of Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Mizoram & Telangana, 2018
- The chief election commissioner of india is Om Prakash Rawat.
11. Digital Transactions Registered Tremendous Growth
- Over the past two years, Digital payment transactions have registered tremendous growth in India.
- New payment modes – Bharat Interface for Money-Unified Payments Interface (BHIM-UPI), Aadhaar enabled Payment System (AePS) and National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) – have transformed digital payment ecosystem by increasing Person to Person (P2P) as well as Person to Merchant (P2M) payments.
- At the same time existing payment modes such as debit cards, credit cards, Immediate Payment Service (IMPS) and Pre Paid Instruments(PPI) have registered substantial growth.
- For the first time, the number of monthly transactions under BHIM-UPI during Sept 2018 surpassed those of any other existing payment mode
12. Two-day Global Cooling Innovation Summit will be inaugurated by Union Science & Technology Minister, Dr. Harsh Vardhan in New Delhi on 12th November 2018
- The Summit is a first-of-its-kind solutions-focused event that will bring together leaders from around the world to explore concrete means and pathways to address the climate threat that comes from the growing demand from room air conditioners.
- The event is jointly organized by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, along with Rocky Mountain Institute, Alliance for An Energy Efficient Economy (AEEE), Conservation X Labs and CEPT University.
13. Demand for Domestic Iron and Steel Products Witnesses Substantial Growth
Efforts made by the Ministry of Steel have ensured placement of orders for domestic iron and steel to the tune of Rs. 8129 crore from June 2017 to October 2018.
- The Ministry of Steel organized a Conclave in Bhubaneswar in October this year for domestic manufacturers of capital goods meant for the steel sector. In this Conclave MoUs worth Rs.39400 crore were signed between foreign capital goods manufacturers and technology providers with Indian capital goods manufacturers and steel producers.
- This is a major shot in the arm for the ‘Make in India’ initiative of the Government of India.
Appointments and Resignation
14. Vikram Singh Mehta has resigned as independent director on the board of Jet Airways with immediate effect.
Awards and Recognition
15. Swati Chaturvedi, a freelance journalist has bagged the 2018 London Press Freedom Award for Courage.
- Ms. Chaturvedi won the award for her work in exposing the “IT cell” within the Bharatiya Janata Party for keeping an army of angry trolls.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website
Important Questions for BANK/SSC/UPSC and other government exams:
1. Bannerghatta National Park is located in which state?
a. Tamil Nadu
c. Andhra Pradesh
2. Recently, M777 Ultra Light Howitzers and K9 Vajra-T self-propelled artillery guns were inducted into the Indian Armed force. From which country was the M777 Ultra Light Howitzers imported?
b. South Korea
3. The chief of Indian Army is _________
4. The currency of Maldives is _________
5. Who is the chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India?
6. In which city will the meeting of RCEP Trade Ministers be held?
7. Which country unveiled world’s first AI anchor?
8. The General election to the Legislative Assemblies of five states will be held in 2018? In which state it will not be held?
b. Madhya Pradesh
9. Where will Global Cooling Innovation Summit 2018 be held?
10. Who bagged the 2018 London Press Freedom Award for Courage?
1. b. Karnataka
2. c. US
3. General Bipin Rawat
4. Maldivian rufiyaa
5. Ajay Tyagi
8. d. Meghalaya
9. New Delhi
10. Swati Chaturvedi, a freelance journalist