Current affairs of 11th-12th November
Neelakshi Das, Published On:12-Nov-2018
1. GSLV-MkIII set to lift off from Sriharikota on 14th November
ISRO is readying itself to put communication satellite GSAT-29 on its heavylift vehicle, the GSLV-MkIII, at Sriharikota on November 14
- ISRO Director: Kailasavadivoo Sivan ; Headquarters: Bengaluru
2. Cyclone Gaja likely to hit TamilNadu and Puducherry.
- Cyclone 'Gaja', which lies over West-Central and adjoining East-Central and South-East Bay of Bengal, has started shifting track, orienting itself towards the Tamil Nadu coast hundreds of kilometres away.
- India Met Department (IMD) has located the cyclone to 730 km east-north-east of Chennai and 820 km eastnorth-east of Nagapattinam, respectively to the North and South along the Tamil Nadu coast.
- Named ‘Gaja’ by Sri Lanka, It is likely to intensify into a severe cyclonic storm in the next 24 hours.
3. SEBI picks 7 firms to beef up surveillance
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has shortlisted seven firms, including Wipro and L&T Infotech to build a private data storage cloud, automate its inspection of brokers and enhance analytic capabilities, as the regulator is eyeing a technological leap in surveillance and investigation functions.
- Others on the list are Accenture and Capgemini Technology Services
- SEBI Chairman : Ajay Tyagi
4. India’s 12 major ports witnessed a 5.31% rise in cargo traffic to 403.39 million tonnes (MT) during April-October of the current fiscal, the Indian Ports Association data showed.
- These ports had handled 383.05 MT cargo during the corresponding seven-month period of the last fiscal.
- The growth was mainly due to increase in handling of coal, mainly coking coal, containers and petroleum, oil and lubricants.
5. OPEC and its allies will meet in Vienna on December 67 to decide on output policy for 2019.
- Saudi Arabia is discussing a proposal that could see OPEC and non-OPEC oil producers cut output by up to 1 million barrels per day (bpd)
- OPEC Headquarters: Vienna, Austria
6. FPIs infuse ₹4,800 cr. in 5 sessions on lower oil
- Foreign investors have pumped in almost ₹4,800 crore into the Indian capital markets in the last five trading sessions, after pulling out large sums in October, amid cooling global crude oil prices and rising rupee.
7. NTPC, 3 other PSUs included in CPSE ETF
- The Finance Ministry has rejigged the CPSE Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) and has included in the basket the scrips of four State-owned companies NTPC, SJVN, NLC and NBCC
- The Ministry has removed three of the existing companies GAIL, Engineers India Ltd. (EIL) and Container Corporation of India in the ETF basket and has replaced them with four new companies.
8. World marks the centenary of the Great War Armistice.
- Around 70 leaders from across the globe converged on Paris to pay homage to the fallen soldiers of the First World War.
9. The world’s largest supercomputer designed to work in the same way as the human brain has been switched on for the first time.
- The Spiking Neural Network Architecture machine is capable of completing more than 200 million million actions per second, with each of its chips having 100 million transistors.
- SpiNNaker, built at the University of Manchester in U.K., can model more biological neurons in real time than any other machine on the planet.
10. Union Bank of India celebrates its 100th Foundation day in Mumbai.
- Union Bank of India CEO: Rajkiran Rai G. ; Headquarters: Mumbai
- Tagline: Good people to bank with
Appointments and Resignation
Books and Authors:
11. The Big Reverse: How Demonetization Knocked India Out by banker and member of the Aam Aadmi Party, Meera H. Sanyal
12. The Case for Reason by Narendra Dabholkar Translated by Suman Oak.
- Narendra Achyut Dabholkar (1945-2013) is a well-known social activist and writer from Maharashtra who was gunned down on August 20, 2013, during his morning walk in Pune.
13. India’s notable economist, T.N. Srinivasan passes away at 85
14. Veteran sports journalist Roshan Lal Sethi passed away following prolonged illness. He was 81.
15. Saurav Ghosal clinched his second PSA World Tour event title this year, prevailing over second seeded Zahed Salem of Egypt in the final of the Kolkata International $30,000 PSA Challenger. He is a squash player.
16. Munaf Patel, a member of India’s triumphant World Cup squad in 2011, has retired from all forms of competitive cricket.
17. 11th November is celebrated as National Education Day which is an annual observance in India to commemorate the birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, the first education minister of independent India
18. 12th November is celebrated as World Pneumonia Day
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website
Important Questions for BANK/SSC/UPSC and other government exams:
1. 12th November is celebrated as World Pneumonia Day
a. National Education Day
b. World Pneumonia Day
c. World Tsunami Awareness Day
d. Legal Services Day
2. From which space centre ISRO is readying itself to put communication satellite GSAT-29 on its heavy-lift vehicle, the GSLV-MkIII?
a. ISTRAC ground station, Dehradun
b. Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram
c. Satish Dhawan space centre, Sriharikota
D. None of these
3. National Education Day is an annual observance in India to commemorate the birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, the first education minister of independent India. When is it celebrated?
a. 11th November
b. 11th October
c. 12th November
d. 12th October
4. Who is the chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India?
a. K. Sivan
b. Rajiv Kumar
c. Rajkiran Rai G.
d. Ajay Tyagi
5. OPEC Headquarters is situated in _________
6. Which company has been removed from the the CPSE Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) by the finance Ministry?
7. The centenary of the Great War Armistice was held in which city?
8. __________ is the world’s largest supercomputer designed to work in the same way as the human brain has been switched on for the first time.
9. T.N. Srinivasan passed away recently at the age of 85. Who was he?
c. Social activist
10. Who is the CEO of Union Bank of India ?
a. K. Sivan
b. Rajiv Kumar
c. Rajkiran Rai G.
d. Ajay Tyagi
1. World Pneumonia Day
2. Satish Dhawan space centre, Sriharikota
3. 11th November
4. d. Ajay Tyagi
5. c. Vienna
6. b. EIL
7. c. Paris
9. a. Economist
10. c. Rajkiran Rai G.