Current affairs of 15th November
Neelakshi Das, Published On:15-Nov-2018
1 GSAT-29 has a perfect launch
- GSAT 29 is India’s heaviest satellite to be carried on board an indigenous rocket from Indian soil, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- The team went ahead with the launch of the GSAT29 on board its second developmental flight GSLV-MkIII D2 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota to clear blue skies as plumes of smoke from the rocket left a trail in the horizon after liftoff from the second launch pad at 5.08 p.m.
- The satellite was placed in a geosynchronous transfer orbit 17 minutes after launch.
- The first operational mission of GSLV-MkIII is going to be none other than the Chandrayaan-II mission in January next year. This vehicle is going to carry a human to space three years from now.
- ISRO Chairman K. Sivan
2. Free smartphones for women self-help groups in Orissa
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced that his government will provide free smartphones to all the six lakh women self-help groups under its Mission Shakti programme.
3. Punjab govt. fined ₹50 crore for pollution.
- The National Green Tribunal ordered the Punjab government to submit a fine of ₹50 crore as environmental compensation for polluting rivers Sutlej and Beas due to industrial discharge.
- The Bench has asked the Punjab government to recover the fine from industries in two weeks.
- Punjab Chief minister: Amarinder Singh; Governor: V.P. Singh Badnore
4. Around 18 lakh foreigners visited India on electronic visas till October 31 this year.
- The highest number of visitors (2,92,143) were from the U.K., followed by the U.S. (2,21,339), China (1,27,022), France (1,07,185) and Germany (89,863).
5. Modi, Pence discuss trade, terrorism in Singapore
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and U.S. VicePresident Mike Pence held talks on Wednesday on a wide range of bilateral and global issues of mutual interests, including defence and trade cooperation, ways to counter terrorism and the need for maintaining a free and open IndoPacific.
- The meeting was held on the sidelines of the East Asia Summit.
6. The winter session of Parliament will start on December 11, the day when the results of the Assembly elections in five States will become known.
- The Assembly election results, the controversy over the Rafale deal and the Ram temple debate are likely to cast a shadow on parliamentary proceedings.
- This would be the last full-fledged Parliament session of the Modi government prior to the Lok Sabha election.
- Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Telangana and Mizoram are going to held polls.
7. Renascent Power Ventures Private Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Resurgent Power Ventures Pte. Ltd., has signed a share purchase agreement (SPA) with a consortium of lenders led by State Bank of India to acquire 75.01% stake in Prayagraj Power Generation Company Limited (PPGCL), which owns and operates a 1,980 MW supercritical power plant in Uttar Pradesh
8. State run lender IDBI Bank has reported a net loss of ₹3,602.49 crore during the July September quarter of 2018-19 compared with ₹197.84 crore in the year earlier period on account of rise in bad loans which is now almost a third of its loan book.
9.Private sector lender ICICI Bank has increased its fixed deposit rates by 10-25 basis points (bps) for various maturities.
- For the 1 year-389 day period, the new rate will be 6.9%, up 15 bps, while for 390 days-2 years, the rate is 7.1%.
- For over 2 years up to 3 years, the bank will offer 7.5% to the depositor.
- Deposit rates have also been raised by 25 bps for some shorter tenures.
- The new rates will be effective from Thursday
9. Globally known Ageas Insurance International N.V. will pick up 40% stake in Royal Sundaram General Insurance Co., a city-based company promoted by Sundaram Finance Ltd. of the TVS group.
Appointments and Resignation
10. Yes Bank chairman Ashok Chawla resigned
- CEO: Rana Kapoor
11. Israeli Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman resigns over Gaza truce.
12. Indian American Neomi Rao, 45, has been appointed to the DC Circuit Court of Appeals to fill the vacancy created by Brett Kavanaugh’s elevation to the U.S. Supreme Court.
13. Mary Kom to be the undisputed flagbearer for India in the World women’s boxing championships, starting at the Indira Gandhi Stadium Complex, New Delhi.
14. Former Davis Cup player and Fed Cup captain Rohit Rajpal was appointed the chairman of the selection committee of the All India Tennis Association (AITA)
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website
Important Questions for BANK/SSC/UPSC and other government exams:
1. From which space centre ISRO is readying itself to put communication satellite GSAT-29 on its heavy-lift vehicle, the GSLV-MkIII?
a. ISTRAC ground station, Dehradun
b. Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram
c. Satish Dhawan space centre, Sriharikota
d. None of these
2. The CEO of Yes Bank is ________
3. Which state government will provide free smartphones to all the six lakh women self-help groups under its Mission Shakti programme?
4. World women’s boxing championships will be held in _______
5. East Asia Summit is held in ________
1. c. Satish Dhawan space centre, Sriharikota
2. Rana Kapoor