Current affairs of 17th to 19th November
Neelakshi Das, Published On:19-Nov-2018
1. India-specific Rafale add-ons after delivery of all 36 fighters
- The enhanced capabilities sought by India in the Rafale fighter jets will be incorporated after all the 36 aircraft are delivered.
- There are 13 India-Specific Enhancement (ISE) capabilities sought by the Indian Air Force (IAF), which will be incorporated in batches after April 2022.
- After the 36th jet is delivered, the first 35 aircraft would be modified in India by Dassault Aviation at the rate of seven aircraft per month, so that all the 36 aircraft would be of the same capability by September 2022.
- The first Rafale jet for India made its maiden flight on October 30 in France and is designated RB 008. It will, however, be the last to be delivered to the IAF in April 2022, 67 months after the signing of the Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA)
2. BSE to part ways with S&P Dow Jones
- Asia’s oldest bourse BSE will snap ties with S&P Dow Jones, which manages and operates the benchmark Sensex, and plans to develop indices through its inhouse development team.
- BSE Location: Mumbai, India.
- Shri S. Ravi - Chairman; Ashishkumar Chauhan - MD & CEO
3. HDFC gives ₹1,100 crore subsidy under PMAY
- Housing finance firm HDFC has disbursed over ₹1,100 crore subsidy to more than 51,000 customers under the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme – the flagship scheme of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.
- HDFC has given loans of over ₹9,800 crore under the scheme, to these customers belonging to the Economically Weaker Section, Low Income Group and Middle Income Group category
- HDFC CEO: Aditya Puri; Headquarters: Mumbai
4. PSU banks’ losses widen 3.5 times in July-Sept.
- State-owned banks saw their cumulative losses widen nearly three-and-a-half times to ₹14,716.2 crore in the July-September quarter of the current fiscal due to mounting bad loans.
- The 21 public sector banks had posted a net loss of ₹4,284.45 crore in the September quarter of 2017-18.
- Higher provisioning towards bad loans had impacted the balance sheets of these PSU lenders
5. Delhi Metro’s 3.2 km long stretch between Escorts Mujesar and Raja Nahar Singh (Ballabgarh) corridor has been approved by the Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety (CMRS)
- PM to flag off section on Nov. 19 for passenger operations.
6. The Third Wife, a film from Vietnam featuring the story of a 14 year old girl’s arranged marriage to a married man from an affluent family, won the best film award at the 24th Kolkata International Film Festival.
7. India gets its first dedicated elephant hospital
- The ‘jumbo’ hospital located near Agra is the result of a collaboration between the Uttar Pradesh Forest Department and conservation NGO Wildlife SOS.
- The modern facility will treat treat injured, sick and geriatric elephants
8. Maldives President-elect Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, PM Narendra Modi hold talks, underline need for peace in Indian Ocean in a meeting held after the swearing ceremony of the Maldivian President in Male.
9. The National Green Tribunal directed auto-major Volkswagen to deposit an interim amount of ₹100 crore with the CPCB, following a plea that alleged that the company used “cheat devices” in emission tests in its diesel vehicles.
10. At least 13 persons died and public infrastructure and private properties in seven districts were damaged as Cyclone Gaja wreaked havoc in Tamil Nadu.
- The severe cyclonic storm that made a midnight landfall near Vedaranyam in Nagapattinam district left a trail of destruction over seven hours with wind speeds as high as 110 kmph.
11. Maternity leave: govt. for incentive scheme
- In a bid to encourage employers, especially in the private sector, to implement the extended 26-week maternity leave law, the Labour Ministry plans to refund them for seven weeks’ worth of wages for women workers with a wage ceiling up to ₹15,000 a month.
- The Ministry is in the process of getting budgetary approvals for the ₹400 crore incentive scheme
12. SBI sells over ₹400 cr. electoral bonds
- More than ₹400 crore worth of electoral bonds were sold by the State Bank of India (SBI) in the 10-day window of October, a sharp rise from the ₹32 crore worth of bonds sold in the July tranche.
- The electoral bond data assumes significance against the backdrop of the Assembly elections in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Telangana and Mizoram.
13. Strong participation from retail investors by way of systematic investment plans (SIPs) led to the total assets under management (AUM) of mutual funds rise to ₹22.24 lakh crore in October — an increase of 0.87% compared with the previous month, as per an analysis by ICRA.
14. Specialty chemicals major Lanxess will invest €150 million (₹1,250 crore) by 2023 to strengthen its asset base in India.
Appointments and Resignation
15. UIDAI CEO to replace Adhia
- In a top-level appointment, the Centre appointed Ajay Bhushan Pandey, Chief Executive Officer of UIDAI, new Secretary, Revenue in place of Hasmukh Adhia, who will retire in November-end.
- Mr. Pandey will continue to hold additional charge as CEO of UIDAI and Chairman of the GST Network.
- The government also appointed Sanjay Kumar Mishra Director of Enforcement Directorate (ED) for two years.
Awards and Recognition
16. N. Ram, Chairman, THG Publishing Private Limited, The Hindu Group’s publishing company, was awarded the Raja Ram Mohan Roy Award by Mr. Jaitley for his lifetime contribution to journalism.
17. Team Abu Dhabi’s Shaun Torrente put up a great performance to emerge winner in the UIM F1H2O Grand Prix of India held in Amaravati, the emerging capital of Andhra Pradesh
18. Nazmul Hassan, the head of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), took over as president of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) from Ehsan Mani till 2020.
19. Mahesh Mangaonkar won the Brussels Open squash tournament held in Brussels, Belgium.
20. Brigadier Kuldip Singh Chandpuri, considered the hero of the ‘Battle of Longewala’ and who was later awarded the Maha Vir Chakra, died in Mohali on Saturday
- 17th November - National Epilepsy Day/ International Student’s Day
- 19th November - International Journalist Remembrance Day
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website