Current affairs of 20th November
Neelakshi Das, Published On:20-Nov-2018
1. Govt., RBI call truce after a marathon board meeting
- The tension between the government and the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) appeared to have defused for the time being with both agreeing to settle for a middle ground at the end of an over nine-hour board meeting.
- The RBI has agreed to set up an expert committee on the economic capital framework (ECF), its mandate is restricted to future earnings and not the existing reserves.
- On the PCA, the Board for Financial Supervision (BFS) of the RBI will review the norms and take a call if some of the parameters like net non-performing asset (NPA) ratio could be relaxed so that some of the banks come out of the PCA.
- There are 11 public sector banks out of 21 that are on the PCA
- The BFS consists of the Governor, four Deputy Governors and a few other board members.
- Another significant decision was relief to micro, small and medium enterprises — the sector which is badly hit by the twin blows of demonetisation and patchy implementation of the Goods and Services Tax (GST)
2. An innovative drying technology, Solar Bubble Dryer, developed jointly by International Rice Research Institute, Philippines; Grainpro, a leading post-harvest solution providing company; and University of Hohenheim, Germany, was introduced to farmers in Bhubneswar, Orissa.
3. Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced that the State will build houses for 13,000 families whose homes were destroyed during Cyclone Titli.
- The houses will be provided under the Biju Pucca Ghar Yojana.
4. India has picked Russia’s IglaS missile system as the choice for the Army’s multibillion dollar contract for man-portable air defence system
- The IglaS bid from Rosoboronexport of Russia has been declared the L1 in the Very Short Range Air Defence (VSHORAD) deal
5. The Maldives’ new government will pull out of a free trade agreement (FTA) with China
6. Prime Minister Launches Ease of Doing Business Grand Challenge
7. The Ministry of Civil Aviation has introduced the upgraded version of AirSewa 2.0 web portal and mobile app to provide superior user experience with enhanced functionalities to air travellers.
8. The revenue department is planning to integrate e-way bill with NHAI’s FASTag mechanism and DMICDC’s Logistics Data Bank services, to facilitate faster movement of goods and check GST evasion.
9. The National Stock Exchange (NSE) has launched an app and web-based platform, ‘NSE goBID’, for retail investors to buy government securities.
- The new app would allow investors to invest in treasury bills (TBills) of 91 days, 182 days and 364 days and various government bonds from one year to almost 40 years.
10. The 49th edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) 2018 will kickstart in Goa with an opening ceremony that will showcase the theme of a “New India” through a variety of genres of cinema.
Appointments and Resignation
11. Yes Bank Director R. Chandrashekhar resigns.
12. State-owned Coal India (CIL)announced the reappointment of five independent directors Loretta M Vas, Vinod Jain, DC Panigrahi, Khanindra Pathak, SB Agnihotri to its board.
Books and Authors
13. Didi: The Untold Mamata Banerjee a biography on West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee, penned down by journalist Shutapa Paul, has been released.
14. Alexander Zverev beat World No. 1 Novak Djokovic 6-4, 6-3 to win the ATP Finals.
15. Shubhankar Sharma capped a dream season on the European Tour by becoming the first Indian to win the tour’s Sir Henry Cotton Rookie of the Year award.
16. Rakibul Hussain was re-elected president while Bharti Narayan was elected the first woman General Secretary of the All India Carrom Federation (AICF)
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website