Current affairs of 29th November
Anjali Singh, Published On:29-Nov-2018
1. ‘India never hit 9% phase under UPA
- India never hit the 9% ‘high growth’ phase in the years of UPA I and II as was earlier believed, according to new back series GDP data released by the government
- The new data release shows that GDP growth during the UPA years averaged 6.7% during both UPA I and UPA II. The old series had pegged these at about 8.1% and 7.46% respectively.
- The current government has witnessed an average GDP growth rate of 7.35% during the first four years of its term.
2. Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur will launch an antidrug campaign on December 5 at Baddi in Solan district
3. The Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams management has cancelled the online and current booking of Arjitha Sevas at Tiruchanur Sri Padmavathi Ammavari temple from December 3 to 14, coinciding with the annual ‘Kartheeka Brahmotsavams’.
4. Indian Navy commander Vijay Varma and captain P. Rajkumar were among those honoured at the ‘Asian of The Year’ awards, acknowledging their selfless service and bravery in rescue operations during the Kerala floods
5. Interim Budget to be presented on Feb. 1
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley will present the interim Budget for the financial year 201920 on February 1, 2019.
- This will be the sixth consecutive Budget to be presented by Mr. Jaitley
6.U.S. President Donald Trump indicated he that favours imposing import tariffs to protect the U.S. auto industry.
7. Oil slipped below $60 a barrel, continuing a recent run of losses, after U.S. crude inventories rose for the 10th week in a row
8. The Vice Minister, General Administration of Customs of China (GACC), Hu Wei, led a six-member delegation to India to discuss various issues of market access for different products like milk and milk products, agricultural products like soy meal, fruits and vegetables, tobacco and pharmaceutical products for which India has been seeking market access from China.
- Departments of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Agriculture Cooperation and Farmers Welfare and Health and Family Welfare and associated agencies participated in the meeting held today in New Delhi. The meeting was coordinated by the Department of Commerce.
- Both the Indian and Chinese sides appreciated each other’s concerns and agreed to resolve the market access issues expeditiously to achieve the vision of the leaders of both the countries by promoting a more balanced trade.
9. Saudi-India Business meeting was held with Council of Saudi Chambers during the visit of the Indian Infrastructure & Housing delegation to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Saudi delegation was headed by Kamel S. Almunajjed, Chairman of Saudi Indian Business Council and the Indian side was led by Manoj K Bharti, Additional Secretary, ED Division, Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India.
- Speaking to the Indian delegation, the Indian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Ahmed Javed, said that there are important changes taking place in Saudi Arabia and India is one of the 8 countries on the preferred list of Saudi Arabia.More proactive participation from Indian companies for business, trade and regional cooperation in being welcomed.
Appointment and Resignation
10. Shri A.M. Naik has been appointed as Chairman of National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship. Currently Shri Naik is the Group Chairman of India's biggest engineering and construction conglomerate – Larsen & Toubro Limited (L&T).
11. The President has appointed Shri Arvind Saxena as Chairman, Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
The tenure of Shri Arvind Saxena as Chairman, UPSC will commence from the date he enters upon the office of Chairman, UPSC. The term of his appointment will be till 07.08.2020 when he attains the age of 65 years or till further orders whichever is earlier.
12.The renowned scientist Nageshwara Rao Guntur has been appointed as chairperson of the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) by the Ministry of Personnel and Training for the period of three years.
13. India’s Manav Thakkar settled for a bronze medal in the U-21 Men’s singles category in the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF)Challenge Belgosstrakh Belarus Open held in Minsk, Belarus.
14. The 14th edition of Hockey Men’s World Cup kicked off with a grand opening ceremony at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha. Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik declared the Hockey World Cup open. The event is being held from 28th November to 16th December 2018.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website