|Exam Full Name::||International English Language Testing System|
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System.
IELTS conforms to the highest international standards of language assessment. IELTS is a secure, valid and reliable test of real-life ability to Candidates can sit an IELTS test in over 800 centres and locations around the world. This global test has the highest levels of quality control. IELTS is designed to assess the language ability of candidates who need to study or work where English is the language of communication.
Find out more in the Test format and results section or download a copy of the IELTS Guide for Insitutions and Organisations (PDF, 586KB).
IELTS encourages, reflects and tests English as it is used in work, study and life. This real life authenticity gives you a personal and valid indicator of just how good you are!
IELTS is jointly owned by British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL).
IELTS is accepted by thousands of organizations in over 135 countries-
Universities, schools, training colleges, tertiary institutes
Government departments and agencies
Professional and industry bodies
Multinational companies and employers
The British Council India offers IELTS tests at 38 locations across India. Registrations are centralised and are processed at the British Council offices in Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai and Kolkata.
How to Register?
1. You can register for the IELTS ONLINE. For this You have to log on the website first- www.ielts.org .
2. One can also register for the IELTS by post/courier; send your completed application form to your nearest British Council office.
How to Pay?
1. Pay online by Credit / Debit Card (Visa, Visa electron, Master Card).
2. Pay through Cash or Demand Draft or Credit Card .
IELTS is available on 48 fixed dates a year – up to four times a month, depending on local demand.
IELTS Eligibility Criteria :-
Anyone can take the IELTS test, there is no minimum education qualification required for taking the test. Candidates below 16 years of age are not eligible to apply. IELTS is an eligibility test for candidates who want to migrate to English speaking countries.
Exam Pattern of IELTS :-
IELTS is usually available in two formats or version - Academic and General Training.
1. Academic Test - You should choose Academic test if you are planning to study in English at an undergraduate or postgraduate level.
2. General Training - It is suitable for candidates who are going to English speaking countries to undertake work experience or training programmes not at degree level, or for immigration purposes to Australia, Canada and New Zealand. The General Training module is not offered at all test administrations.
IELTS is composed of four modules -.
The total test duration is around 2 hours and 45 minutes .
The choice of the test version depends on the requirements of a given institution.