Ireland a dynamic, lively, modern country with a young population and a successful, technologically orientated economy.... but it remains a country where music, conversation, culture, traditions, time to relax, listen and make friends ... matter. A country with cultured, cosmopolitan cities renowned for its beautiful, unspoiled countryside and scenery.
Ireland - linked to the world
- Ireland is an English-speaking country with close cultural, economic and educational links with the English-speaking world, especially with the UK - and USA, where Irish Americans form a high proportion of the population.
- Ireland is a part of the EU family of nations and cultures and of the increasingly integrated European Education Area.
- Ireland is Global in outlook - for several centuries Irish people have emigrated to and settled in many countries around the globe and today we welcome people to Ireland from all over the world.
Ireland - where education and learning count
- From the mediaeval monastic centres, to the "hedge schools" of the 17th - 19th centuries, to the schools and colleges of today
- From the Irish scholar monks in Europe in the middle ages, to the missionary teachers of the 19th and 20th century in Asia, Africa and the Americas, to the international scholars and researchers of today..
- From the 8th century Book of Kells to Joyce, Beckett, Shaw...
- From the traditional, cultural and literary learning to leading-edg, 21st science and technology
Ireland - where education and industry meet
- Irish education is of the highest international quality.
- It prepares people for success
- It has close links to industry and is characterised by creativity, flexibility, agility, pragmatism and informality.
- Education was a key factor in making Ireland one of the fastest growing economies in the world over the past decade.
- Investment in research and "4th level" education is a key plank in developing Ireland as a knowledge society in the new global economy.