sell books sell books
Sign In

Visa Process

Visa Requirement and Process

International students are required to obtain a Study Permit before going to Canada. The student can apply for Study permit under the Student Partners Program (SPP) of the Association of Canadian Community Colleges and the Canadian Immigration Programs in New Delhi and Chandigarh. To qualify for Study Permit Application under SPP the student should hold an unconditional offer letter from one of the universities / colleges that are included under this scheme. SPP is currently open to Indian nationals only. Allow atleast two months for your Visa to be processed.

The following list of questions and answers will provide you with the information you need to start applying for a Study Permit.

  1. Do I need a study permit to study at a Canadian educational institution?

    Canadian colleges, universities, technical institutes and other educational institutions encourage applications from qualified international students. If you are going to study in Canada for more than six (6) months, you need a study permit. Applicants going to study in any field in Canada for six (6) months or less do not require a Study Permit and can be apply for visitor visas. However, this applies only if the full course will be completed in six six months or less. You cannot go to Canada on a visitor visa and study the first six months of a longer course without a study permit and then obtain a permit later.

    If you intend to study in the province of Quebec, you also need a Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ) from the Quebec government. You can obtain more information by contacting our counsellor at 0091 522 3010098 or through email at

  2. How do I get an application form?

    The most updated visa application form is available at our office for collection

  3. How much does it cost?

    The visa fee is payable in cash(INR only) or by bank draft favoring "Canadian High Commission",or "Receiver General for Canada" (INR or CAD) payable at New Delhi. The current visa fee for Study permit is CAN$ 125 or 5470 INR.

    VFS charges an additional processing fee to cover the cost of the services provided by the application centre. Currently VFS is charging Rs. 700 per application.

    No refunds are given in the case of refused applications.

  4. How do I apply?

    The Canadian High Commission uses the services of VFS Visa Application Centres in nine cities across India and in one city in Nepal to ease the application process for temporary visas - visitors, students, and workers as well as travel documents for permanents residents.

    In-person applications are accepted at the High Commission, New Delhi, and Consulate General, Chandigarh, from 11 to 12 p.m. Monday to Thursday. Given this time frame, please note that only a limited number of persons can submit applications at this time.

    Processing times are identical as for those applications submitted through VFS. If an interview is required, these will be scheduled in advance at a time convenient to applicants so they will no longer stand in line outside the High Commission or Consulate General.

    Applications submitted by mail take a minimum of two weeks from the time an application is received by High Commission to process.

    Please note that processing times vary from case to case, some cases will take longer than the times indicated above.

    Note: VFS is responsible only for accepting applications and providing advice and guidance where necessary. All visa applications will continue to be assessed by visa officers at the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi or at the Canadian Consulate General in Chandigarh.

  5. What are the basic requirements for a Study Permit?

    All applicants wishing to study in Canada must satisfy an officer that:

    • they will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay,
    • that they will not contravene the conditions of admission (for example, that they will not work without prior authorization or waiver),
    • that they have sufficient funds for their tuition fees, to maintain themselves and any accompanying family members, and to transport themselves to and from Canada, without working in Canada, and
    • That they do not belong in a category of persons inadmissible to Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

    Contact our office for more information on basic requirements for Visa application.

  6. What kind of funds do I need to show?

    You will need to satisfy a visa officer that you have sufficient funds available for your studies, including tuition, living costs and transportation, without working. Please see Question 7 for documents you should submit and Question 10 for the amount of funds required.

    It is highly recommended that you arrange the funds that you will be using to support your studies according to the guidelines below.

    If you are funding your studies in whole or in part through your savings, your immediate family's savings or a sponsor's savings, it is in your interest to:

    • provide verifiable documentary evidence of immediately available funds in a credible financial institution that have been available for your studies for at least 6 months prior to the date of your application;
    • demonstrate that any loan is secured, verifiable and from a credible financial institution;
    • provide your, your parents or your sponsor's banking records for the 24 months prior to your application;
    • provide documentary proof that explains any large deposits in your, your parents' or your sponsor's savings; and
    • Provide documentary proof that you, your family or your sponsor has a stable income that explains the savings or loan available for your studies.

    If you do not follow these guidelines, your study permit application may be rejected without interview on that grounds that you have not satisfied an officer that you have sufficient funds. The officer deciding each case determines whether banking documents are acceptable. Most scheduled Indian banks and international banks operating in India are likely to be considered credible. Please note that original documents are not accepted; if required , we will advise accordingly.

  7. What documents should I provide to obtain a Study Permit?

    Documents required to obtain Study Permit in Canada depends on individual case and may vary from case to case. We assist all our students in preparing proper visa application file along with the required documents. Please visit our office for more information on documents required.

  8. Do I need to take an IELTS test?

    It is strongly recommended that you take an IELTS test if you intend to study in English. You will need to satisfy a visa officer that you will observe the conditions of your admission to Canada and will depart Canada at the end of the period authorized for your stay. A proven and verifiable ability to communicate in the language of your studies will assist the officer in making that determination. Oureducation offer classroom based IELTS training course in Lucknow. Ranging from 1 week fast track program to upto 8 weeks compressive program meeting all your requirements and delivering best results as ever. We also offer accommodation arrangement for outstation students.

  9. When should I apply?

    It is very strongly recommended that you apply at least two months before the start of your studies. If you do not, you may miss the registration date specified on your letter of acceptance. A study permit will not be issued to you if you do not have a valid letter of acceptance when a final decision is made on your application. You should apply as early as possible once you receive your acceptance letter.

    Please note that medical examinations are usually required for students from India and Nepal. This adds a minimum of two weeks to the processing of your application.

    Please note that if you do not submit your application properly, or do not submit the correct documents, the processing time will be longer. Applicants who do not provide the required documents may be refused without an interview.

    We strongly recommend all the candidates applying for Canadian Visa to consult our expert visa team and get their Visa application forms and documents checked before applying in order avoid any error in application.

  10. How much money will I need during my studies in Canada?

    If you will not receive funding from a Canadian educational institution or a governmental organization, you will be required to provide evidence that you or your family can readily afford the cost of an education in Canada on an ongoing basis.

    You must demonstrate that you will have enough money during your stay in Canada to pay for tuition fees, books, living expenses for yourself and any accompanying dependents, and return transportation for both yourself and your dependents.

    According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada guidelines, you will require approximately $10 000 Canadian per year, not including tuition fees, to cover your living expenses. If your dependants are planning to accompany or join you, you will require an additional $4 000 for the first dependant, and $3 000 for each subsequent dependant, in addition to return airfare.

  11. Can my spouse and child come with me to Canada, or visit me at a later date?

    If you proceed to Canada alone, it is possible that your dependants will not be able to join you there. If you wish your spouse and / or child to accompany you to Canada or to join you at a later date, you must provide proof that you will be able to support them. Please see the response to Question 10 above.

    Since funding provided by Canadian institutions or governmental organizations is normally sufficient for one person only, you will likely be required to provide proof of additional funding and/ or savings. Your dependants will also be required to demonstrate to a visa officer that they have sufficient ties to India to ensure their departure from Canada.

  12. Can I work while I am in school?

    You are allowed to work on campus if you are pursuing full time studies and are in possession of a valid Study Permit. Otherwise, you will need permission from an immigration office to work while studying in Canada

  13. If I have a study permit, can I stay permanently in Canada?

    Study Permits are issued for the sole, temporary purpose of authorizing your studies in Canada. If you are applying for a study permit primarily in order to get into Canada to obtain permanent residence, to work, or for any other purpose other than studying, it is very likely that your application will be refused.

    If you have already arrived in Canada and do not attend an academic institution, removal procedures will be initiated against you.

  14. Do I need someone to help me prepare my application?

    You may prepare and submit your application yourself, or can avail Visa Counselling Services for Canada offered by Oureducation.

    You, as the applicant, are responsible for all information submitted. Please be sure to review all the information on your application form and ensure that all questions are answered truthfully before signing and dating the forms.

    If you or someone acting on your behalf directly or indirectly misrepresents facts relating to your application for a visa:

  15. your application will be refused;
  16. the circumstances of your refusal will be entered into Canada's global immigration database; and
  17. you could become inadmissible to Canada for 2 years under section 40(2) of theImmigration and Refugee Protection Act.
  18. How can Oureducation help me prepare my application?

    Based on our knowledge and experience we take extra measures in preparing a Visa application file for Canada. We make sure that the student fills the correct and update application forms, attach authentic and required documents as appropriate, assist students in arranging the required documents in proper format and maintain complete transparency with students while applying for Study Permit for Canada. If we examine that the candidate is not eligible or does not have enough documents to get student visa we do not proceed with his or her visa application file. Till date we have 100% success rate for Canadian Visa.

  19. What all is included in Visa Counselling Package?

    Our Visa counselling and pre departure service includes:

    • All Paper Work including form filling
    • Assistance in preparing required documents
    • Presenting the documents in proper format
    • Intensive Visa Interview Preparation:
    • Guiding step by step the entire visa process and requirements
    • Pre-departure briefing and tips on Dos and Don'ts
    • Foreign Exchange and Travel Assistance
    • Overseas Medical Insurance
  20. How can I join Visa Counseling Package at Oureducation?

    Our Visa counseling fees for Canada is included in our Admission Counseling fees for Canada so if you are already enrolled into our Admission Counseling Program for Canada then you do not need to enrol again for Visa Counseling Package. We also offer separate Students already applied and received offer of admission into a Canadian University or College can join our Visa Counseling Package separately. To join our package you can either visit our office in person and paying the service fees or if you are an out stationed candidate then you can register by depositing the fees into our bank account.

  21. I am not from Lucknow can I still join Visa Counseling package at Oureducation?

    Yes you can still join our Visa Counseling Package, and we will provide complete assistance remotely through email and phone communication. 40% of our students are from other cities and are successfully studying in various universities around the world through our services offered remotely.

  22. I am yet to apply for admission in Canada; can Oureducation help me in admission?

    Yes we assist candidates applying to Universities and Colleges in Canada along with visa application and IELTS preparation. Please contact our office for complete details on our process and services.

Back to top