Current Affairs 31st july
JITHIN LAL, Published On:31-Jul-2019
1.The House of State Rajya Sabha passes Triple Talaq Bill .
- The bill also called as The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2019 criminalises instant divorce by Muslim men.
2.Assam: Dibrugarh and Sivasagar districts of the state is the production hub for 25 lakh kilograms of tea annually in three tea estates .
2 kg of Manohari Gold tea fetched ₹50,000 per kg at the Guwahati Tea Auction Centre (GTAC).
- This the highest price for any tea sold in any auction centre in India this Year.
3.Delhi : AAP government is working on a draft Bill for the constitution of a Scheduled Castes (SC) Commission in the Capital.
- The commission will redress grievances of people from the community.
- Presently , Minorities in the city move to the National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) for redressal of their grievances.
4.Rajasthan : Congress government of the state tabled two separate Bills against mob lynching and honour killing in the Rajasthan Assembly
- The Bills have made these offences non bailable with heavy penalties and punishment, including death sentence for honour killing
5.Maharashtra : Mumbai Pune Hyperloop project got a boast as Cabinet approved the appointment of DP World and Hyperloop Technologies as its Original Project Proponent (OPP)
- Once ready, will reduce travel time between Mumbai and Pune to just 30 minutes
- The Cabinet also decided to grant ‘public infrastructure’ status to the project, helping it gain easier access to funds and concessions.
- About 150 million people are expected to use the hyperloop annually.
6.Vembanad Lake : Ramsar site and one of the most polluted water bodies in the world, of plastic waste.
- Is part of cleaning drive by a group of fishermen .
- This year, the eighth year of the campaign, more than 80 sacks full of plastic have been collected from a small portion of the lake.
7.Supreme Court: Excessive use of reservation may impact the right to equal opportunity guaranteed under the Constitution.
- Three judge Bench, reminded reservation benefits given to the most “forward” classes, especially to those who had no qualification whatsoever will result in creating dis balance among equal status awarded to Indian citizens .
8.Dhirubhai Naranbhai Patel Takes Oath as the CJI of Delhi HC
Lt. Governor Anil Baijal administered the oath to Justice Patel at a function held at Raj Niwas.
- Supreme Court Collegium recommended his name for the appointment as Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court.
- He is former Acting Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court and Judge of Gujarat High Court.
9.Sudarsan Pattnaik, the Indian sand artist and Padma Awardee, has won the People's Choice Award at the Revere Beach International Sand Sculpting Festival in Boston, US. He won the award for his sand sculpture 'Stop Plastic Pollution, Save Our Ocean'.
- Pattnaik was among the top 15 sand artists who were selected from across the world to participate in the Sand Sculpting Festival. Pattnaik's Sand sculpt:
10.The scientists of NASA think that they have found the outer boundary of our solar system.
It was earlier not properly defined.
- New Horizons spacecraft can see that invisible boundary says Scientists .
- They have named it the "hydrogen wall”.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website