sell books sell books
Sign In


What is the application process for Germany?

Each and every student applicant from abroad must apply for admission to studies. This goes for first-year students and undergraduates as much as it does for graduate students or even doctoral students. You cannot study in Germany without a letter of admission. The admissions process requires you to meet the necessary requirements for your desired degree programs. This includes, the proof that you are adequately proficient in the German language, your school-leaving certificate or any academic achievements already gained in the home country. These must be recognised as equivalent to the respective German qualifications. However, it is also possible - depending on the university and degree program -that you may be required to meet further admission conditions. So contact your chosen university as early as possible (we would advise at least one year before the studies are scheduled to begin) to find out the requirements you may have to meet and the documents required. Contact the staff of the International Offices or Student Advice Offices for information and advice.

How much does the Germany education cost?

At some universities you don't need to pay tuition fees. While some charge around 500 euros per semester. Whether you have to pay fees or not depends entirely on the federal state and at the university you are studying. Costs that you will certainly have to pay each semester are the semester contribution and the health insurance premiums (around 280 euros). The semester contributions are due when you register (matriculate) at the university and then each semester when your re-register at the Student Office. Depending on university and federal state, these can amount to between 50 and 250 euros. At some universities, this sum includes a Semester ticket. This allows you to use local public transport in and around your university town without any extra costs.

What academic degrees do German universities offer?

You can gain the following academic degrees at most of Germany's universities: Bachelor's, Master's, Diplom, Staatsexamen, Magister or a doctorate. All German universities meanwhile offer the regular international degrees: Bachelor's and Master's. The plans even aim to completely replace the traditional German degrees "Diplom" and "Magister" with these new ones by 2010. Until then, it will still be possible to gain a "Diplom" or "Magister" at many universities. Please contact the International Office or Student Advice Office at your university direct to find out which degrees the university currently offers.

How can I find a place to live in Germany?

The first point of contact when looking for a flat or a room is the Student Services organisation at your university. Student Services operate their own halls of residence that offer value-for-money accommodation for students. They also maintain a file with the addresses of private landlords and landladies. They additionally offer a particularly interesting service for international students: Many Student Services sell Service Sets for foreign students. These sets can be booked via the Internet before you come to Germany. In general, a Service Set will include accommodation, meals and health insurance. This guarantees that you have a place to live when you arrive in Germany.

How are the living expenses in Germany?

An international student, besides the education expenses, will have to meet the monthly living expenses. This expense can be around 630 Euros on average. One third of this is spent on house rent. This differs according to the place where you live

Can I work while am studying?

Earning money and studying at the same time is a part of everyday reality for many students in Germany. However, international students who do not come from EU or EEA countries are only allowed to work to a limited extent in Germany. In addition, they generally need the approval of the Employment Agency before they can take up a job.

Are Scholarships available?

There are many organizations in Germany that award scholarships and grants to international students. For example, the DAAD specifically funds advanced students, graduates and postgraduates, i.e. doctoral students. Besides public funding organizations, there are also many private initiatives offered by business and industry, media and politics that are committed to supporting young international academics and researchers.

Can I stay in Germany after completing my studies?

The new Immigration Act has been in force in Germany since 1 January 2005. It aims to enable highly-qualified people from abroad to enter the German employment market more easily and to offer them longer-term prospects. For international students who have completed their studies in Germany, i.e. graduated, as per the act, after ending their studies, they can extend their stay and spend up to one year looking for a job in Germany that is appropriate to the qualifications. Highly-qualified foreigners, who have a job offer in Germany, can receive a (permanent) Settlement Permit without the need for any labor market checks or the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.

Back to top